Date:      Mon, 14 Jun 1999 16:00:50 -0500
From:      Carol Deihl <carol@tinker.com>
To:        LutzRab@omc.net
Cc:        security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: New Attack via sendmail?

Lutz Rabing wrote:

> I've seen some pretty strange lines in syslog of one of our webservers.
>
> The box is running 2.2.8 with sendmail 8.9.3 and has never been out of
> swap space before, in fact it's not using swap space at all under normal
> conditions.
>
> Lutz Rabing
> -OMCnet-

> Jun 14 14:11:48 meg /kernel: swap_pager: out of swap space
> Jun 14 14:11:48 meg Jun 14 14:11:48sendmail[: /etc/spwd.db
> Jun 14 14:11:48 meg Jun 14 14:11:48sendmail[: OAA14935
[snip]

Are you running a Netscape browser on the box? A couple of months ago
I had a similar problem, on a non-public box. It looks like the
Netscape browser (Communicator 4.5) has a memory leak (especially in
JavaScript processing), and eventually it would eat all the swap and
cause something else to choke. I raised the (soft) ulimits for data and
stack in my .profile, and I exit Netscape every couple of days (or
whenever it starts getting slow). I'm not really sure if this was the
problem, but it has not reoccurred since I up'ed the ulimits.

Carol
--
Carol Deihl - carol@tinker.com
Shrier and Deihl - Unix Network Admin and Internet Software Development