Date:      Mon, 03 May 2010 16:33:19 +0300
From:      =?utf-8?B?QW5kcml1cyBNb3JrxatuYXM=?= <hinokind@gmail.com>
To:        =?utf-8?Q?C=2E_Bergstr=C3=B6m?= <cbergstrom@pathscale.com>
Cc:        yuri@rawbw.com, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: GSoC: Making ports work with clang

On Mon, 03 May 2010 15:34:43 +0300, C. Bergstr=C3=B6m <cbergstrom@pathsc=
ale.com> wrote:
> What fancy stuff is in the ports tree which clang will take advantage =
of?
I wasn't talking about any specific port. What I meant is that new hardw=
are
won't stop coming out just because FreeBSD decided not to update their g=
cc.
New CPUs may have new instructions and other things that are different f=
rom
their predecessors in one way or another. While llvm will continue to ch=
ase
the hardware and implement new optimizations, gcc in base will not be aw=
are
of those changes, continuing to produce code that runs, but may may be
missing potential optimizations on those CPUs.
I hope this makes sense.

> I can't say the gentoo/arch approach is correct, but it may not be a b=
ad
> idea to steal whatever they have have done correctly.
Maybe, but to steal something, I'd have to know what is "gentoo/arch
approach" first.

> I'd be more than happy to help or work with you if it's feasible to ad=
> another compiler to this project.
Hopefully, when I finish the project it will be relatively easy to add
support for other compilers.

-- =

Andrius