Date:      Fri, 10 May 2002 08:46:44 -0700
From:      "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "John T. Farmer" <jfarmer@goldsword.com>
Cc:        setantae@submonkey.net, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: conf/11376 still suspended

If memory serves me right, "John T. Farmer" wrote:

> On Fri, 10 May 2002 15:28:56 Ceri Davies said:
> >
> > It was announced on the front page of www.FreeBSD.org on May 1st, exactly
> > the same day as it was put in place, exactly on schedule as set out in
> > the release schedule at http://www.freebsd.org/releases/4.6R/schedule.html.
> >
> > Not too retrospective really.
>
> So now we are to:
>   1.) read -stable to know when items are fixed,
>   2.) read -announce to know when "offical" releases happen,
>   3.) Check the website frequently
>   4.) and copy the schedule (which historically changes at the drop
>       of a hat) to our planners AND keep checking it for changes...
>
> I run -Release on my servers & am building a box to track -stable.
> I read -stable and -announce (as stated as "you should" in the handbook)
> to know what's working & what's not.  And even with all this, I was
> surprised by the code-freeze.
>
> So, if you are interested in getting a PR done but can't do the
> work/commit yourself, how should you check on it?  Somehow, I don't
> think e-mailing the lists/committers weekly will lead to success...

OK, before this gets totally out of hand...

If things had gone as planned, re@ (of which I am a part) would have
notified both stable@ and qa@ of the code freeze, *at the same time*
that all the committers were told.  We documented this in our
checklists, and for a variety of reasons not interesting in this forum,
blew it anyways.

If I was in your position, I'd probably be pretty annoyed too.  I think
you *should* be able to rely on stable@ to give you code-freeze
announcements.  About a week into the code-freeze, I checked the
mailing-list archives and discovered we didn't cover this.  So I sent
out what someone has called a "retro-alert".  Not ideal, but it's way
better than waiting until the 4.6-RC1 announcement to say something,
I'm sure you'd agree.

Committers may not be aware of this series of events, which is likely
what led to kris's comment.

So...once again, please accept re@'s apologies.  We'll do better in the
future.  Can we get back to work now?  :-)

Peace,

Bruce.