Date:      Mon, 2 Sep 2002 23:34:03 -0400
From:      Joshua Lee <yid@softhome.net>
To:        Matthew Emmerton <matt@gsicomp.on.ca>
Cc:        m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk, meckhert@hotmail.com, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: US Robotics V.Everything Internal ISA modem *WORKING!*

On Mon, 2 Sep 2002 13:06:04 -0400 (EDT)
Matthew Emmerton <matt@gsicomp.on.ca> wrote:

> The patch has already been submitted and returned, because "sharing
> fast interrupts is a bad thing to do".  See PR/41227.
>
> Personally, I'd like the patch to go in so that we're not turning
> people away (remember, PCI sio devices work 100% fine on Linux and
> Windows) and in this case, works fine on FreeBSD as well.  I think
> this is a perfect example of how good hardware (USR) works fine in
> tricky scenarios, but is where bad hardware would explode.

Coincidentally I am running a USR Performance Pro PCI modem myself,
maybe that's why it works OK. Maybe adding some code to detect what
modem it is and enabling it conditionally would work? Another solution,
although less elegant than your one-line change, is to add puc and sio
devices in one's kernel configuration file without enabling puc fast
interrupts. This manages to allow the PCI modem to share interrupts, at the cost of somewhat more kernel bloat.