Date:      Mon, 11 Jun 2001 12:07:25 +1200 (NZST)
From:      Juha Saarinen <juha@saarinen.org>
To:        Dave Uhring <duhring@charter.net>
Cc:        Chris BeHanna <behanna@zbzoom.net>, FreeBSD-Stable <stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Improvements for FreeBSD v4.3.1-Release?

On Sun, 10 Jun 2001, Dave Uhring wrote:

> For a first-hand look at XFS, you can do a Linux install of RedHat-7.1 by
> beginning the install with a CD made from SGI's XFS iso available at
>
> ftp://oss.sgi.com/projects/xfs/download/
>
> I have one of these systems set up and the journalling doesn't to slow the
> system much at all.  Also had a power failure and the system survived its
> "smoke test" without damage.

That's my experience too -- the f/s seems to survive plenty of abuse.
Remember though that no f/s can rescue data that hasn't been written to
the hard disk. Some people thought that they could pull the plug during a
file save, and still have their data intact... doesn't quite work ;-)

Also, it's worth moving up to the newer CVS versions of XFS plus tools --
plenty of fixes applied after 1.0 testing.

> Since XFS is GPL'd, inclusion with the FreeBSD kernel seems problematic,
> however.

They might be open to changing the license... worth asking, perhaps.

--
Regards,

Juha

PGP fingerprint:
B7E1 CC52 5FCA 9756 B502  10C8 4CD8 B066 12F3 9544