Date:      Wed, 18 Aug 1999 10:44:34 -0400
From:      Christopher Michaels <ChrisMic@clientlogic.com>
To:        "'Boune, Damian'" <DBoune@co.napa.ca.us>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: bug which crashes FreeBSD 3.2

Point well taken, that this is common knowledge for anyone who has any
familiarity with the system.  I think the point being made is that if a
mistake is made or an inexperienced user is at the system, there should be
some failsafe to prevent the system from locking down or panic'ing.

When we're talking about a floppy (or any removable media) there is a vary
good chance that, the mounted file system could be removed w/o unmounting
it.  It would be just good practice to protect the system against that.

If FreeBSD is to stay primarily a server oriented OS or a 'nitche market',
than for the most part, no one cares because 99% of people who use FreeBSD
know to mount / unmount the floppy (as inconvenient and un-intuitive as that
may be).  If FreeBSD does want more of a user base, and is going to be
touted as a 'desktop operating system', then certain concessions and
falsifies need to be integrated into the system, as to not drive those
potential users away.

That's just my opinion.
-Chris