Date:      Sat, 12 Apr 1997 23:40:28 -0600
From:      vanmaren@fast.cs.utah.edu (Kevin Van Maren)
To:        Bruce.Albrecht@seag.fingerhut.com, terry@lambert.org
Cc:        freebsd-smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Tyan ATX 1668

>> I've got one of these on order, and I understand that there's a
>> problem with the 5th PCI slot, which is not currently a problem for me
>> since I'm currently planning to use 3 slots.  However, I was wondering
>> if this problem is a hardware problem or a BIOS problem, and whether
>> it matters which BIOS (AMI/Award) one is using.  If it's BIOS, what's
>> the change that Tyan will have the BIOS manufacturers fix it if we all
>> complain?

Only the Award BIOS is available from Tyan  (If you can find the
AMI, let me know; I'd really like to try it!).

Award BIOS in general has a problem in that it supports at Most
1 PCI bridge, even w/o SMP.  Tyan's Award BIOS also has the annoying
feature in that on every soft-reboot it does the complete (slow)
memory `test' (bad memory can `pass' and still cause a FreeBSD panic
as soon as it boots).  The BIOS also has the limitation mentioned in
that only 4 entries are reserved for PCI cards, when the system has
5 slots.  Also note that the BIOS has the number of processors `hard-wired'
to 2.

>The 5th slot shares the same interrupt map as the fourth slot,
[...]

I believe that the 5th slot shares with the First slot.
If you put a card that doesn't use interrupts in it, you should
be fine (ie, a video card).

>The BIOS problem is that the mptable does not refect the correct number
>of PCI busses on the motherboard (it says there is one and there are 2),
>and so the second bus's APIC is incorrectly configured to an ISA
>interrupt (you can get more information on this by searching the SMP
>list archives on www.freebsd.org).

No. They Tyan S1662/S1668 has only 1 (one) PCI bus.  All 5 slots
are on the same PCI bus.  Of course, there are two PCI busses if
you use an Adaptec 3940 or other device with a PCI-PCI bridge on it.
But the particular problem referred to was the missing entry for
the 5th slot.

>					Terry Lambert

Kevin