Date:      Mon, 27 Mar 1995 01:42:00 +0000 ()
From:      Brian Tao <taob@aries.ibms.sinica.edu.tw>
To:        FREEBSD-HACKERS-L <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Plug-n-Play Internet acccess (was Re: httpd as part of the system.)

On Sun, 26 Mar 1995, Alex R.N. Wetmore wrote:

> As for a standard mail package, Pine seems like the obvious answer to me.
> It generally seems to be the easiest package to use and is fairly full
> featured.

    There's a big push these days from the major mainstream OS
companies (i.e., Microsoft and IBM) to have personal IP connectivity
right out of the box.  If we are to include some sort of "netpak",
Pine is pretty much a must-have.  It's easy to use, comes with an
integrated Pico editor, handles MIME without using an external
program, and (most of all) can retrieve mail over IMAP.  AFAIK, Elm
only works on locally-accessible mail spools, unless you hack in
remote mail server support.  Do most ISP's that offer SLIP/PPP
services provide IMAP servers?   I have Pine running on my FreeBSD box
here in Taiwan, retrieving mail from my io.org account back in
Toronto.  It works almost like magic.  :)

    Speaking of these "Internet-in-a-box" solutions, how good are
FreeBSD's installation notes for SLIP and PPP, with either static or
dynamic IP address assignment?  Do we have some sort of script that a
user can run which asks for things like their ISP's phone number,
login and password, the gateway IP, mail server, news server, etc.?
taob@gate.sinica.edu.tw <-- work ........ play --> taob@io.org