Date:      Tue, 21 May 2013 09:40:15 +0200
From:      Luigi Rizzo <rizzo@iet.unipi.it>
To:        liujie <liujie@263.net>
Cc:        "freebsd-net@freebsd.org" <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: netmap bridge can tranmit big packet in line rate ?

On Tue, May 21, 2013 at 6:26 AM, liujie <liujie@263.net> wrote:

> My hardware setup is:
>    CPU: i7 2600,MEM:16G NETWORK: intel 82599 OS:freebsd 9.1
> when the packet size increases,the transmit rate drops. 1518-byte packet
> can
> only transmit about 80%

you should really tell us what numbers you see with various
packet sizes, and whether you measure on the sender or on
the receiver or on the bridge (you say "using netmap bridge
to transmit..." which makes it unclear where you are making
the measurements, whether you are using two machines or one,
etc.

60-byte packets is the most challenging configuration for
netmap, if you get line rate there then there is no reason
not to go as fast with larger packets.

>    can you tell me your hardware setup ?
>    do you have any modification to bridge.c and netmap ?

nothing different from the ones in the FreeBSD tree,
and we used it on a variety of different machines
including test an i7-820 i think

cheers
luigi