Date:      Fri, 10 Dec 2004 08:36:50 -0700 (MST)
From:      Scott Long <scottl@freebsd.org>
To:        L G <vamosl@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Perc 4e/di amr driver

On Fri, 10 Dec 2004, L G wrote:
> Hi,
> Im installing 5.3 amd64 on Dell Poweredge servers 2800 and 2850. All
> machines have 4 to 8gb of ram and Perc 4e/di hardware Raid controller.
> The install does not boot completely because of the amr driver for the
> Perc 4e/di not recognising 4gb+. To solve this I specify hw.physmem=4G
> at boot time. The system then recognises 3.3gb of the ram.
> To solve the issue of the amr driver i took the driver source from
> 6.0-CURRENT kernel source, replacing the driver in the 5.3 kernel
> source with it and compiling a new kernel. This worked and now all
> system ram is recognised.
> My question is,as these servers will be production servers under a
> heavy load a lot of the time,will this new driver be stable enough to
> use or is it a risk.
> Thanks.

The same changes that you grabbed from 6-CURRENT were made to 5-STABLE a
few days ago, so you can just go ahead and update your whole system.
5.3-RELEASE has other bugs in >4GB handling that I've also fixed in
5-STABLE, and the AMR fixes rely on these fixes.  But to answer your
question, the driver is very stable under load now.

Scott