Date:      Fri, 10 Jan 1997 13:34:54 +0100 (MET)
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to create bootfloppies with custom kernel?

On Thu, 9 Jan 1997, Doug White wrote:

> > How can I put a custom kernel on a boot-floppy?
>
> You need a working system to do this, and it's not very fun, and if
> GENERIC can't find it then it's not likely that nothing else will either
> since EISA devices are auto-probed.

Well, the 2.1.0R GENERIC found the controller, but not 2.1.0 stable... I
asked in this list and got the answer, that a constant in
/usr/src/sys/i386/eisa/eisaconf.h got changed. I changed it back, and now
it boots (and runs for several months now...). Unfortunately, I can't
install this machines using bootfloppies >2.1.0R, and that's no fun
either. I'd have to install 2.1.0R first and upgrade it to whatever, then
change this constant back, make a new kernel etc... I would rather save
the time for this.

So I'm still looking for a way to roll my own bootfloppies (from 2.1.6.1)
with this patched GENERIC.

Martin

| Martin Jangowski              E-Mail: maja@birdland.rhein-neckar.de |
| Voice: +49 621/53 95 06                       Fax: +49 621/53 95 07 |
| Snail Mail: Koenigsbacher Str. 16      D-67067 Ludwigshafen Germany |
| RNInet e.V.                                   Rhein-Neckar Internet |