Date:      Mon, 25 Feb 2002 23:48:41 +0100
From:      Cliff Sarginson <csfbsd@raggedclown.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: iso images

On Mon, Feb 25, 2002 at 02:15:00PM -0800, Kent Stewart wrote:

> Alain LIEFOOGHE wrote:
>
> >excuse me for my english, but i have a question for the people who
> >decide what quind of packages are included in the install iso. Why dont
> >they make an install iso with the packages needed for a nearly complete
> >workstation (full KDE, mozilla, printing and office) ? I think it will
> >be good for freebsd and much more people install it on their computer
> >for internet and the base of the office working.
> >   thank you, by.
>

> I was following the thread on what was added to cdrom #1 and your
> questions was foremost in their minds. What it really came down to, in
> my mind, was that a (1) cdrom wasn't sufficient. You needed a DVD and
> that was not a solution. For example, you and I like KDE but there are
> people out there that would not touch KDE if they were paid to use it
> and you can not add them all on a single cdrom.
>
> You also have to face that fact that a release is not the final
> solution. It is a starting point. The system has security patches. The
> ports have security fixes and they are continuously being updated. Any
> cdrom that you purchase is a starting point and not a destination.

While I agree with much of this, I still think it is an interesting idea
that someone may want to make a project out of. After all all the tools
to do such a thing are available. It just needs someone with the
motivation to try and build such a thing. It would not be seen as any
kind of replacement, but as an additional demonstration that FreeBSD is
capable of being used to complete a complete working environment.

The updating part may create some tricky issues..but probably not
insurmountable ones.

(p.s. I am not volunteering :)
--
Regards