Date:      Wed, 18 Jul 2001 14:28:03 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Mike Holling <myke@ees.com>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   state of newmidi in 4.3R?

I'm considering trying to get MIDI enabled on my workstation/music
experimentation machine.  It has two soundcards which work fine for DSP
playback and recording:

av% cat /dev/sndstat
FreeBSD Audio Driver (newpcm) May 20 2001 20:36:50
Installed devices:
pcm0: <AudioPCI ES1370> at io 0xe800 irq 11 (1p/1r channels duplex)
pcm1: <SB16 DSP 4.02 (ViBRA16X)> at io 0x220 irq 5 drq 1 (1p/1r channels)

However I'm not able to get any basic MIDI functionality working:

av% playmidi -e somethin.mid
Playmidi 2.4 Copyright (C) 1994-1997 Nathan I. Laredo, AWE32 by Takashi Iwai
This is free software with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
For details please see the file COPYING.
open /dev/sequencer: Device not configured

There doesn't seem to be much info about newmidi in the archives or on the
web.  I found a page for newmidi patches on the FreeBSD site, but they
seem old (around 4.0 time) and there's no "midi" device in LINT and no
"midistat" in MAKEDEV.  I had an external synth hooked up to the AudioPCI
back in 1999, using FreeBSD 3.x and the commercial OSS drivers.  Is there
something else that needs to be configured before MIDI is functional?

- Mike