Date:      Tue, 11 Dec 2001 13:02:10 -0800
From:      Bakul Shah <bakul@bitblocks.com>
To:        Bryan-TheBS-Smith <b.j.smith@ieee.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DVD-RAM, DVD-RW, DVD-R, DVD+RW, DVD+R

Thanks for your response.

First, for everyone's info see
    http://www.dvddemystified.com/dvdfaq.html
This is a pretty good FAQ.

After a quick scan of this and some other webpages it seems
DVD+RW is the way to go *if* you want to make DVD player
compatible DVDs.  DVD-RAM is only for data but can be written
100K times (as opposed to 1K for DVD{+,-}RW).

> DVD uses the UDF (universal device format) filesystem, and Linux/BSD
> support UDF.  So provided the devices themselves have a driver, yes.

That is good to know.

> Panasonic DVD-RAM and Pioneer DVD-R/W drives are the two, officially
> sactioned DVD rewritable standards by the DVD consortium.

The standard names seems to be DVD-RW for what you are
calling DVD-R/W, right?

> So I don't see DVD-RAM as the "consumer" drive, but it is definately
> going to live because of its unrivaled archival advantages, especially
> media longevity.

All rewritable DVD media seems to have similar longevity
though the cartridge definitely offers protection.  Of
course, the usual problem in the computer world is that
drives become rarer than hen's teeth way before the medium
becomes unreadable.

> PIONEER DVD-R/W

Haven't found anything about this format.

> Sony/Philips' [now defunct, see below] DVD-R+W standard, short of

Is this the same as DVD+RW?

> consortium has accepted it as an officially supported standard and two
> is that Sony/Philips are dropping their DVD-R+W bastard in favor of
> DVD-R/W.

Websites seem to say Sony and Phillips are solidly behind
DVD+RW not behind DVD-RW but since I am not familiar with the
terminology you use I have no idea what you are talking about!

> Although a new, 2nd gen DVD-R+W drive with 4.7GB capacity has finally
> arrived, S/P has seemingly put its support behind Pioneer's DVD-R/W, a
> standard that is now recognized by the DVD consortium (unlike DVD-R+W).

References please?

Thanks!

-- bakul