Date:      Fri, 2 May 2014 08:03:14 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Fbsd8 <fbsd8@a1poweruser.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pppoe comes up - but can't reconnect

On Thu, 01 May 2014 19:19:27 -0400, Fbsd8 wrote:
> > [...]
> > the line
> >       set ifaddr 209.161.205.12 206.221.248.4
> > states my statis IP address followed by the connection address at my
> > sevice provider I am guess - but my service providers address changes
> > right now it is 216.154.64.1
> >
> > Any pointers or comments would be useful.
> >

> # If your ISP assigns you an (dynamic) different IP address each time
> # you log in, then use the following statement. If your ISP issued you
> # a (static never changes) IP address to use every time you log in, then
> # comment out the next statement and uncomment the statements following it.
>
> # Get dynamic IP address from ISP if that's how they do it.
>   set ifaddr 0.0.0.0/0  0.0.0.0/0  0.0.0.0  0.0.0.0
>

> # Use static IP address from ISP if that's how they do it.
> # Set static IP address your ISP assigned to you.
> # s.s.s.s = your static IP address
>
> # set ifaddr s.s.s.s 0.0.0.0/0 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0

I've been using a PPPoE connection for many years. This is
what my configuration looked like:

ispname:
	set device PPPoE:rl0
	set authname myusername@ispname.de
	set authkey mypassword
	set dial
	set login
	add default HISADDR

I simply added this block at the end of ppp.conf and didn't
modify anything else. In /etc/rc.conf, I simply defined

	ppp_enable="YES"
	ppp_mode="ddial"
	ppp_nat="YES"
	ppp_profile="ispname"

so the PPPoE connection would come up on system start and
would be re-initialized in case it dropped. The network
interface rl0 just needed to be up, no further configuration,
the tunnel interface tun0 would then be assigned the IP
depending on what the ISP transmitted.

It shouldn't be hard to get something similar working today. ;-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany