Date:      Wed, 22 Sep 1999 22:27:14 -0700
From:      Doug <Doug@gorean.org>
To:        Leif Neland <leifn@neland.dk>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: xntpd as server for ntpdate

Leif Neland wrote:

> We used to have xntpd on a linux box synched to the outside world, and
> many local machines did ntpdate to it.
>
> Now this machine has been upgraded to Fbsd, still running xntpd, but now
> ntpdate reports "no server suitable for synchronization found".
>
> I have even said "restrict default" which should allow everybody
> everything (This is behind a firewall, so no risk here)
>
> What am I doing wrong?

	probably nothing. On the new freebsd machine run the command
'ntptrace'. You'll probably see that the server sees itself as stratum
16. Depending on the hardware it make take a few hours to a few days to
synchronize itself enough to start answering requests. If after a few
days it's still at strat 16, check to see if there is an ntp.drift file
(you did specify a location for the driftfile in ntp.conf, yes?). If so,
kill xntpd and restart it. It should then come up ready to serve time
after it's synched to its external time sources.

Good luck,

Doug
--
"My mama told me, my mama said, 'don't cry.' She said, 'you're too young
a man

    - John Belushi as "Joliet" Jake Blues, "I Don't Know"