Date:      Tue, 20 Mar 2001 01:14:21 -0500 (EST)
From:      Ken Seggerman <suleyman@echonyc.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   spurious RPC Port mapper failure msg?

Greetings:

I just installed 4.3 BETA on three machines. One of them, a laptop, gives
me the following errors at startup:

Starting final network daemons: mountd nfsd rpc.statd nfsiod NFS access
cachetime=2 Cannot send MNT RPC: RPC: Port mapper failure -RPC Unable to
send

Cannot send MNT RPC: RPC: Port mapper failure -RPC Unable to send

However, I can still mount remote file systems, write to them and read
from them. And I can still mount file systems on the laptop from the other
two machines.

This annoying message  only showed up after I replaced the 4.1
/etc/defaults/rc.conf with the 4.3 version, and only showed up on the
laptop not the other two machines.

/etc/defaults/rc.conf reamins untouched, and /etc/rc.conf looks ok.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Ken Seggerman

ken_seggerman@suleyman.com