Date:      Mon, 10 Jun 2002 23:47:00 +0200
From:      Jens Rehsack <rehsack@liwing.de>
To:        Doug Barton <DougB@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org, ttc-technik@liwing.de
Subject:   Re: optimze fetch-locations

Doug Barton wrote:

> On Mon, 10 Jun 2002, Jens Rehsack wrote:
>
> > I do not know anything about akamai, what is it?
>
>         I don't mean to be rude, but we expect more of our users than
> this. If it takes you more than 3 seconds to figure out how to find this
> out for yourself, giving you the information wouldn't help you anyways.

Very funny. In most cases those things are just more than a company,
it's a name of a technology and the distributing firm is named xyz.
But - you were right - I could take a look before ask.

> > Why does it costs many bucks?
>
>         Because the problem is vastly more complicated than you think it
> is. :)

Can you explain you to me? I don't want a more reliable net, I want a
list of mirrors, a local ip <-> get-mirror-server( get-isp( whois-isp( get-local-ip() ) ) )
list and a little more intelligent fetch list basing on these both information.

Why this is vastly more complicated. The fetch-list for ports (it's just
for the big tarballs in ports, f.e. mozilla, open-office, gnome, ...).
I do not see the problems you see. Could you please be more detailed?

I mean just a "make nearest-server-list", not a reliable, 100% available
network of fast and near mirror servers. If I want that, I install a squid-cluster.

Jens
--
L     i  W     W     W  i                 Jens Rehsack
L        W     W     W