Date:      Sat, 27 Jun 2020 01:24:48 +0200
From:      Christoph Moench-Tegeder <cmt@burggraben.net>
To:        Donald Wilde <dwilde1@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org, pgsql@freebsd.org, brooks@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: stable postgresql11 appears to have issues

## Donald Wilde (dwilde1@gmail.com):

> This is 12-STABLE as of a few days ago, and yes, it's running on amd64/HAMMER.

So, llvm 10. As I guessed :)

> I'll see if I can figure out how to get the 'configure output' from a
> port... That does seem to be a useful thing to know!

That might be the point to look into poudriere:
https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/ports-poudriere.html
It does not leave half-compiled ports lying around and does a very good
job of collecting build logs and managing dependencies.
Anyways, "configure" is - for PostgreSQL and some other software -
the first stage of the build process, where it figures out the
build environment and, well, configures the build process
Perhaps using packages would get you off the ground faster (and
will save some electricity) - figuring out FreeBSD and the ports
system while learning how to build software from source is
at least three variables at one and a very steep learning curve.

> Cristoph, I am installing ports as they come, out of the box. The
> reality is that many ports still use LLVM80, and, even worse, gcc6.

That would be gcc9, as there's no gcc6 around anymore? Else, there's
something very wrong.

Regards,
Christoph

--