Date:      Wed, 5 Apr 1995 09:49:12 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Steven G Kargl  <kargl@troutmask.apl.washington.edu>
To:        nate@trout.sri.MT.net (Nate Williams)
Cc:        rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com, freebsd-hackers@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: new install(1) utility

According to Nate Williams:

> > Almost to the point of having a ${PROG}.stripped rule (you'r cmp thing
> > in install is going to have to compare a stripped version of programs
> > or it will always fail for the standard binary case).
>
> Hmm, I had forgotten about the strip option.  Sigh..
>
> However, for the parts of the system that bite us the most the smart install
> is a good solution.  We don't have to use it for everything (or anything for
> that matter), but for those files which do affect the dependencies, I think
> it would be a big win.

This isn't much of a problem.  The stripping done by install is the first
operation done to the source file.  In its simplest form, install does

if copy
  make_copy
  if strip
  if gzip
  rename copy to target
  set owner, group, flags on target
else
  if strip
  if gzip
  if move
     rename as target
     set owner, group, flags on target
  else symlink
     set owner, group, flags on source
     create symlink
  end
end

However, after wading through my mail this morning, the symlink option
may be a Bad Idea (although I learned a lot about symlinks).

FOR EXAMPLE:

%cd /usr/src
%make world
[where symlink /usr/bin/install -> /usr/src/usr.bin/xinstall/xinstall occurs]
%make clean

The symlink now points to a deleted xinstall binary.

Removing the symlink option will actually make the layout of install
much easier to follow.
--
Steven G. Kargl     | Phone: 206-685-4677 |
Applied Physics Lab | Fax:   206-543-6785 |