Date:      Tue, 08 Dec 1998 21:12:07 -0800
From:      Ben Cottrell <benco@pendor.McKusick.COM>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Disk based audio editing tool?

On Tue, 8 Dec 1998 23:46:59 -0500 (EST), kfurge@worldnet.att.net wrote:
> After capturing, I would like to use the editor to trim the ends and
> filter out any pops and clicks.  I looked through the 'audio' section of
> the ports collection and tried 'dap' and 'mxv' but being memory based
> editors, they maxed out my system fairly quickly.

I do end-trimming with dd--works quite nicely on raw PCM files,
although not so well on files that have headers, like wav. No matter--
you can easily convert back and forth with sox.

Fade-ins and fade-outs are quite handily done with the pcmfade utility
that comes with tosha.

Pops and clicks... ahh, there's the rub. So far I've not been able
to find any utility that does this. I'm not averse to a little
programming; but I don't know of an audio equivalent of Knuth, and
would be much obliged to anyone who can point me to some pseudocode
or ideas on Windows Cooledit style click/pop removal.

I wrote my own curses-based audio recording program, and I know how to
crunch PCM data and calculate loudness in dB and stuff like that,
but the identification and removal of the pops is beyond me.

	~Ben