Date:      Sun, 22 Apr 2001 16:51:14 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        John Merryweather Cooper <jmcoopr@webmail.bmi.net>
Subject:   Re: XTERM

John Merryweather Cooper <jmcoopr@webmail.bmi.net> types:
> "Robert T.G. Tan" wrote:
> > I tried /etc/ttys:
> >
> >         ttyv5   "/usr/X11R6/bin/xdm -nodaemon"  xterm-color     on  secure
> >
> > but I didn't get the xterm-color value for TERM.

You need to log out of the X session, then hup init for that to take
effect. You may need to do it in the other order, or shut down xdm a
second time after hupping init to get the change through everything
looking at it.

> I by-pass the X resource stuff (which I haven't quite figured out) and
> use the following in my .shrc

X resource stuff is one of the biggest problems with X. It makes the
Windows Registry look sane.

The X resource to set is xtermName. If you have a .Xresources and it
gets loaded, that's probably the best place to put this. You'll need
to reload .Xresources with xrdb for it to take effect.  That way,
xterm will get the information from the X server, so that xterms
started on other systems displaying on yours will also get
xterm-color. If you don't want to do that, you can either put it in
your .Xdefaults or whatever XENVIRONMENT points to, or in a directory
pointed to by XAPPRLESDIR or XUSERFILESEARCHPATH if you use one of
those.

> # adjust TERM to color xterm under X
> # use linux Java under X
> if [ $TERM = "xterm" ]; then
> 	TERM=xterm-color; export TERM
> 	JAVA_HOME=/usr/local/linux-jdk1.3.0; export JAVA_HOME
> fi

TERM should already be in the environment, so the export is
redundant. I did it that way for a year or so before moving it into
.Xresources.

	<mike