Date:      Wed, 05 Feb 2003 12:44:41 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Bakul Shah <bakul@bitblocks.com>
Cc:        Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@online.fr>, "Pedro F. Giffuni" <giffunip@yahoo.com>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: GGI (was: Project Status)

Bakul Shah wrote:
> > X has forever suffered from fixed cell rendering.  GGI will not fix
> > this; changing X would.  Several companies have done this in the
> > past: NeXT, with NeXTStep, Sony with NeWS, etc.
>
> Terry, your memory needs some sort of ECC.  It was Sun who
> did NeWS (Network extensible Window System).  SGI too picked
> it up for a while.  IIRC Sony had a machine called News (with
> whatever cApItaLization) but that is a horse of a different
> color.

It was a dual processor Motorolla box.  I had one for a while to
do some XPG/4 localization on some software.  8-).

It had Sun's NeWS on it, and it has the same capitalization in
its name.  FWIW, I've never seen a box actually running NeWS,
except for the one from Sony.

> If by fixed cell rendering you mean one-to-one mapping
> between a character and a glyph (grpahical shape) I agree.
> The situation with Indic scripts is considerably more complex
> where multiple characters can map to a single glyph, where
> there are many more glyphs than characters, the glyph of a
> char depends on the position of the char in a word and so on.
> But without kernel based graphics support I don't see any
> hope of getting truly first class support for Indic scripts.

Exactly.  That alone should justify a GGI.  That, and console
support for Kanji, Hangul, and other ideogrammatic languages.
We'll also need it to run forts of Goa'uld software.  8-) 8-).

-- Terry