Date:      Mon, 12 Nov 2001 15:28:22 GMT
From:      Steve Brown <gtabug@prayforwind.com>
To:        Tadimeti Keshav <keshav_tadimeti@yahoo.co.uk>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to install an external modem?

Do you have a Windows partition and does the modem work on Windows? Whic=
h=20
port (com<x> =3D=3D cua<x-1> in other words if it's on com1 under window=
s it's=20
com0 under FreeBSD)? If it's using a port higher than cua3 re-submit you=
r=20
question as "how do I re-compile kernel to enable more than 4 serial por=
ts?".=20
If you don't have windows to compare, check your dip-switches for correc=
tness=20
and try all 4 ports. You can use "ppp" to check (assume your modem is go=
ing=20
to work if it is on 1 of the 1'st 4 ports)

I found the standard "ppp" that comes with the system much more reliable=
=20
than the KDE/Gnome add-on(s). And you probably would prefer to not be=20
obligated to run such an environment just to connect to internet.=20
Unfortunately the handbook's explanation of ppp is not as intuitive as=20
you may need at this point (I was stuck for months on it). Here's the=20
article that got me through this:

http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/bsd/2000/06/14/FreeBSD_Basics.html

Good luck, Steve