Date:      Wed, 21 Feb 1996 10:49:34 -0600 (CST)
From:      melrobin@Jetson.UH.EDU (Melvin Deloyd Robinson)
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Executable files

At the University of Houston we use Next machines and I noticed that when I
list files the ones that are executable have an asterick beside them.  For
instance if I compiled melvin.c as cc -o melvin melvin.c the file would look
list like this melvin* upon listing.  This is pretty neat because you can
kinda tell what type of file it is simply by looking at it without typing
fun file or looking at the permissions.  Is this a feature that is set on
login?  Any of you UNIX hackers know how can I emulate this with FreeBSD?

Thanks,
Melvin