Date:      Wed, 15 Sep 1999 23:22:17 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Mark Lastdrager <mark@pine.nl>
To:        Kevin Van Maren <vanmaren@fast.cs.utah.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG, scrappy@hub.org
Subject:   Re:  Quad-PIII...exists?

At Wed, 15 Sep 1999, owner-freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG wrote:

>Quad => Xeon => $$$.  If it is going in a server, I'd recommend
>the Intel L440GX+ motherboard, since it has DUAL PCI busses.
>FreeBSD 3.2 runs on it just fine (although it doesn't recognize
>the AGP->PCI bridge for the 2 66MHz PCI slots, they work great).
>It's not so badly priced, when you consider the dual-channel
>Adaptec scsi and integrated ethernet (and 2MB video).

I'm running 20 machines with Intel N440BX motherboards with dual PII-450
(almost the same as the L440GX) and having trouble with the ethernet. At
very heavy load on the network (running Bonnie on a NetApp NFS mount) the
fxp drivers gives up and messages like 'fxp0: driver timeout' appear at
the console. Reboot is the only solution. The problem only occurs when
running in SMP mode.

Mark Lastdrager
Pine Internet

--