Date:      Wed, 03 Jan 2001 10:28:26 -0500
From:      "Andresen,Jason R." <jandrese@mitre.org>
To:        "Brent B.Powers" <powers@b2pi.com>
Cc:        Carles Montenegro <carlesgo@mat.upc.es>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: "make" documentation

"Brent B.Powers" wrote:

>     Carles>     Dear sirs,
>
>     Carles>     I am a telecommunications engineering student from
>     Carles> Polytechnic University of Catalonia.  I'm working with a
>     Carles> FreeBSD 3.2 and I would like to get full documentation
>     Carles> about the "make" version which is used in FreeBSD 3.2.  I
>     Carles> have been searching unsuccessfully through the
>     Carles> www.freebsd.org site.  Where could I get specific
>     Carles> information about the "make" version used in FreeBSD 3.2 ?
>
> There are essentially two make's on open source systems (actually,
> there are more than that, but we'll only pay attention to two). The
> bsd make is probably at /usr/bin/make (it is on a standard system, and
> I doubt that you've moved it), and documentation for it (such as it
> is) may be found at /usr/share/doc/psd/12.make/paper.ascii.gz. Note
> that this was written a number of years ago as a replacement for the
> ATT 7 make.
>
> But wait. That's not that heavily used anymore. Over in
> /usr/local/bin/gmake is the gnu make. Up to date info (including
> differences between bsd make and gmake) can be found by using the info
> system
>
> info "GNU make"
>
> and gmake can handle any makefiles that make can. Furthermore, it's
> abit faster and is certainly more currently maintained. Additionally,
> it has a few extra bells and whistles (in fact, it's the only make
> over in the Linux world, where a quick symlink, which you can
> duplicate, has it as make as well as gmake).
>
> Thus, ignore make, set up gmake as your default maker, and all will be
> well with the world.

But don't throw away that old make yet, you still need it for building
ports and any part of the FreeBSD source tree.  In fact it is best to
leave GNU make as gmake to avoid any compilcations that can arise when
building the kernel/world.

--
  / \/ \  | ||_ _||  _ \|___| | Jason Andresen -- jandrese@mitre.org