Date:      Thu, 11 Jul 2002 13:47:49 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Viktor Lazlo <viktorlazlo@telus.net>
To:        snaelq@techst02.technion.ac.il
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: i have a question!

On Thu, 11 Jul 2002 snaelq@techst02.technion.ac.il wrote:

> since i'm new to all these stuff, my question is what's the difference between
> your FreeBSD & Linux ??!
>
> p.s. i'm an Electrical Eng. student, & have to learn the UNIX OS, so i'm
> looking for the most similar/close OS to UNIX.

They are both implemenations of unix-like systems for the PC architecture.
FreeBSD is considered by many to be "more unix-like" than linux in
general, and among the major linux distros Slackware has the reputation of
being the most "unix-like".  From the average user's point of view,
there's not an awful lot of difference between sitting down to an xterm or
console session on a linux or FreeBSD box--the differences appear mainly
at the system administration level.  Either provides an excellent means to
learn unix at little or no cost.

A quick search using terms like "linux freebsd difference" or "linux
freebsd comparison" in any search engine should give you some more indepth
information, try these links for a start:

http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/docs/HOWTO/mini/Linux+FreeBSD
http://www.cons.org/cracauer/freebsd.html

Cheers,

Viktor