Date:      Thu, 17 Apr 2003 08:21:35 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Chuck McCrobie <mccrobie2000@yahoo.com>
To:        csujun@21cn.com, Pete Carah <pete@ns.altadena.net>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: VAIO problems still

--- Jun Su <csujun@yahoo.com> wrote:
> --- Pete Carah <pete@ns.altadena.net> wrote:
> >
> > > Have you checked if there is a BIOS update in
> Sony
> > web
> > > site. I upgrade BIOS for my R505DL. It fixed
> > several
> > > ACPI related problem in its ASL.
> >
> > Have the latest (dated last November).  It covers
> > all
> > 505ES, 505ESP, 505ESK versions.  Checked today for
> > anything
> > newer :-(
> >
> > -- Pete
> >
> > > However, the sound problem in VAIO is still
> there.
> > :(
> > Booo.  Mine kind-of works.  I think getting some
> of
> > the devices
> > off of irq9 will help.
> ^^^^ How? My problem is when I move my mouse
> quickly,
> the sound is good. However, when I don't, the sound
> stop. The problem is no IRQ9 interrupt can be raised
> by the sound card. :(
>
> Jun

<rant - please note this applies to the GRX-670 -
YMMV>

UGH! UGH! UGH!  Please see:

http://w3.mivlmd.cablespeed.com/~mccrobie

Let me know if this fixes your problem - or not.

I have diagnosed this problem on the Sony Vaio GRX-670
six months ago.

There is nothing you can do to get devices off of
IRQ9, that I know of.  If its any consolation, Windows
2000 lists ethernet, firewire, usb, cardbus ALL on
IRQ9.  Since FreeBSD shares interrupts, I have not
noted any performance issues with so many devices on
the same interrupt, although I don't generally have
USB, firewire, sound, and ethernet all going at the
time.

The problem with audio is that FreeBSD does NOT route
the existing interrupt.  The patch on the above web
site hacks the routing of the interrupt.

I can play sound WITHOUT moving my mouse, without
network traffic, etc.

Because the interrupt is shared, the ich3 sound driver
gets its interrupt routine called when anything that
gets IRQ9 is used - including USB mouse.  The sound
driver than finds work to do and does it - the result
is you get sound.

FreeBSD does not seem to setup the interrupt mechanism
to enable delivery of the IRQ9 for sound, because
sound already has an assigned interrupt.

I've been waiting for someone to fix this.  I posted
this patch several months ago, but the response was
"this does nothing for IO APIC" - I don't know what
that is or how it affects this issue, but if it fixes
the problem, it would greatly be appreciated.

<rant off - hopefully this fixes other Vaio's>

Chuck McCrobie
mccrobie2000@yahoo.com