Date:      Wed, 29 Jan 1997 11:13:21 -0600 (CST)
From:      Tim Tsai <tim@futuresouth.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   reverse DNS problems

  I'm having a problem that my provider is unable to explain.  Let me
demonstrate by an example:

  from 207.141.254.20:  lynx www.sarc.msstate.edu

	The connection will be immediate, but it will be 2 minutes before
	any data is transferred back.  telnet/ftp will send the prompt back
	immediately (we're only 7 hops apart afterall).

  from outside of 207.141.254.:  lynx www.sarc.msstate.edu

	no slowness problem.

  from 207.141.254.20:  ftp ftp.netbsd.org

	10 seconds until the first prompt.

  from outside of 207.141.254.:  ftp ftp.netbsd.org

	3 seconds.

  See the pattern here?  Note that this applies to all 207.141.254.
machines.  Can somebody tell me where to even start
tracking down the problem?  If it's a reverse DNS lookup problem, is
there any utilities/commands that I can run to verify?  My provider is
handling my primary DNS, by the way.

  Thanks!

  Tim