Date:      Mon, 15 Oct 2001 14:37:05 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        "Patrick O'Reilly" <patrick@mip.co.za>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: today and yesterday log files

Patrick O'Reilly <patrick@mip.co.za> types:
> Hi again,
>
> Are you talking about setuid.yesterday, dmesg.yesterday and ipfw.yesterday?
>
> I have traced them to /etc/security.  I have not read the script carefully
> enough to determine WHY it does that little trick, but that's where it
> happens.

It does that so it can show you what's *changed* since yesterdays
security run. In particular, changes to setuid files, ipfw rules and
mounted file systems are clues that something may be amiss. The dmesg
one is so that it shows you only the *new* dmesg output, not whatever
has accumulated since you last booted that hasn't been flushed.

	<mike
Q: How do you make the gods laugh?		A: Tell them your plans.