Date:      Sat, 16 Jul 2011 00:32:52 +1000 (EST)
From:      Ian Smith <smithi@nimnet.asn.au>
To:        Kevin Oberman <kob6558@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-acpi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: acpi_ibm fails to work on new laptop

On Thu, 14 Jul 2011, Kevin Oberman wrote:
 > On Jul 13, 2011 10:30 AM, "Ian Smith" <smithi@nimnet.asn.au> wrote:
 > >
 > > On Mon, 11 Jul 2011 16:34:43 -0700, Kevin Oberman wrote:
 > >
 > >  > I recently went from a ThinkPad T43 to a T520. On the T520, ac[i_ibm
 > >  > is not functional. 'sysctl dev.acpi_ibm'
 > >  > returns nothing. No volume control, though MUTE does work.
 > >
 > > Is the module actually loading?  If so, verbose dmesg shpuld say like
 > >  Preloaded elf module "/boot/kernel/acpi_ibm.ko" at 0xc103b2e0
 > > and presumably whinge if it failed to load?
 > >
 > >  > Any idea about a fix? Can I just change the OEMID to LENOVO? (Probably
 > >  > should change all "IBM references to LENOVO while I'm at it.)
 > >  > I'll probably give this a shot, just to see if it works.
 > >
 > > Change where?  No OEMID in /sys/dev/acpi_support/acpi_ibm.c at 8.2-R.
 > >
 > > cheers, Ian
 > Yes, it loads fine. I see the load message at boot and kldstat shows it.

Hmm, yet acpi_ibm_attach() doesn't seem to get as far as setting up the
sysctl tree?  Can you post or point to a verbose dmesg?

 > I dumped the asl and it has the OEMID set to LENOVO, where.my T43 has IBM.

Ah right, duh!  Someone who groks ASL might like to peek at it.

 > At the start of the code is:
 >
 > #define _COMPONENT ACPI_OEM
 > ACPI_MODULE_NAME("IBM")
 >
 > I'm guessing that the OEMID and the ACPI_MODULE_NAME need to match.

Could be.  kldstat shows it's loaded the module, but something should
complain if the dev either fails to probe or to then attach properly?

!sysctl dev.acpi_ibm
dev.acpi_ibm.0.%desc: IBM ThinkPad ACPI Extras
dev.acpi_ibm.0.%driver: acpi_ibm
dev.acpi_ibm.0.%location: handle=\_SB_.PCI0.LPC_.EC__.HKEY
dev.acpi_ibm.0.%pnpinfo: _HID=IBM0068 _UID=0
dev.acpi_ibm.0.%parent: acpi0
dev.acpi_ibm.0.initialmask: 2060
dev.acpi_ibm.0.availmask: 2124
dev.acpi_ibm.0.events: 0
dev.acpi_ibm.0.eventmask: 2124
dev.acpi_ibm.0.hotkey: 2180
dev.acpi_ibm.0.lcd_brightness: 0
dev.acpi_ibm.0.volume: 6
dev.acpi_ibm.0.mute: 0
dev.acpi_ibm.0.thinklight: 0
dev.acpi_ibm.0.bluetooth: 0
dev.acpi_ibm.0.wlan: 1
dev.acpi_ibm.0.fan_speed: 0
dev.acpi_ibm.0.fan_level: 0
dev.acpi_ibm.0.fan: 1
dev.acpi_ibm.0.thermal: 26 31 29 -1 -1 -1 14 -1

acpi_ibm_probe() checks that %pnpinfo _HID=IBM0068 so if you are seeing
 acpi_ibm0: <IBM ThinkPad ACPI Extras> on acpi0
on boot, it seems it must be probing ok but failing to attach somehow?

Hoping Lenovo haven't quit being 'IBM compatible' in this respect, just
stumbling around for an hour till They Who Know get a spare minute :)

cheers, Ian