Date:      Thu, 28 Jan 1999 06:26:45 -0500 (EST)
From:      Vince Vielhaber <vev@paprika.michvhf.com>
To:        Shawn Workman <sworkman@nidlink.com>
Cc:        net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Migration to FreeBSD

On Wed, 27 Jan 1999, Shawn Workman wrote:

> I currently work for a company that has a small lan( 15 machines total ) and we
> are adding a T1 line in a month or so.  I proposed to my boss that we should
> use FreeBSD and NATd allong with a kernel built with IP forwarding as our
> gateway to the internet accross the T1.
>
> The machine we are currently using as a gateway is our main file server (not my
> choice) it is a PII 400Mhz with 128 MB ram and a 9.1GB UW SCSI 3 drive running
> NT 4.0.
>
> My boss is foolishly considering running our current file services on this
> machine as well as a web server and a SMTP server for our site and a few others
> that we are going to host on site.  This is the same machine that all of our
> sensitive company information is on.
>
> I am looking for advice on how to approach him with the option of FreeBSD.  He
> loves M$ and was getting ready to dump 1000 on MS Proxy 2.0 when I stopped him
> and pointed him toward the aVirt Gateway server..
>
> I have mentioned to him, every time we add a new machine or other component to
> our network, that FreeBSD could do it better and without client license issues
> or costs.  He just looks at me and says "Isn't that what you run at home?" so I
> say yes, and tell hime it is awesome and less crash prone than NT and if it
> does crash it is almost always something the Administrator messed up, or a
> first time user..
>
> I really want to implement FreeBSD in our system not only as our gateway but
> also as our networks file servers..
>
> Any advice will be greatly appreciated...

Hand him some printouts from BUGTRAQ and remind him the sensitive company
info is on that machine.

Vince.
Vince Vielhaber -- KA8CSH   email: vev@michvhf.com   flame-mail: /dev/null
       # include <std/disclaimers.h>                   TEAM-OS2
   Online Searchable Campground Listings    http://www.camping-usa.com
       "There is no outfit less entitled to lecture me about bloat
               than the federal government"  -- Tony Snow