Date:      Tue, 24 Feb 2004 14:36:59 -0800
From:      David Schultz <das@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Colin Percival <colin.percival@wadham.ox.ac.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What to do about nologin(8)?

On Mon, Feb 23, 2004, Colin Percival wrote:
>   I can see a number of possible options; I'd like to hear
> opinions on which would be the best.

This is the third time this issue has been discussed, so before
the same arguments are rehashed, I'd like to lay out a simple plan
that I think people are unlikely to object to.  (If anyone *does*
object, please say so.)

(1) Fix login(1) so that it disables the -p option when the target
    user's shell is not in /etc/shells (unless the invoking user
    is root), and

(2) Make nologin(8) setgid nobody, so rtld ignores LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

After that, people are welcome to debate whether to make nologin
dynamically linked again (which should be safe), whether to move
it to /usr/sbin (which sounds reasonable, but won't matter as much
anymore), and whatnot.  I just don't want to (once again) get into
a big debate that ends up getting derailed so that nobody gets
anything done.

P.S. Both of these ideas are due to Tim Kientzle.