Date:      Wed, 7 Oct 1998 00:13:08 +0400
From:      "Mikhail A. Sokolov" <mishania@demos.net>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        dg@root.com, enkhyl@hayseed.net, mishania@demos.net, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: -current panics..

Talking about being AIX-ish - the precedent is there - FDSETSIZE, isn' it?

On Tue, Oct 06, 1998 at 07:57:15PM +0000, Terry Lambert wrote:
# > >This same kind of situation can occur with a network-intensive app running
# > >under Solaris, too. From my own experience with tuning OSs (specifically
# > >Solaris 2.x), I'd agree with David's assessment. Not having delved that
# > >far into the details of FreeBSD "leaks" as he probably has, I can't say
# > >with certainty that there are none, but I'm inclined to believe him. :-)
# >
# >    I should say here that I'm not saying that there aren't any "leak" bugs,
# > either, just that I have looked into this several time and found nothing but
# > mis-tuned systems. I'm also a bit incredulous since wcarchive does far more
# > TCP/IP than most other machines in the world, has months of uptime and no
# > detectable buffer leaks. I want to be clear about this: If there was a bug
# > that I could identify, I'd fix it immediately. "Show me the mon^H^H^Hbug!"
#
# I kind of have a question in this area...
#
# If it's possible to tune the system's static resource allocations,
# then why not make the allocations dynamic so that they are self
# tuning, and dampen the hysteresis loop so that you don't get wild
# swings?
#
#
# It's always seemed odd to me that there would ever be an "out of
# mbufs!" message when there was, in fact, room available to allocate
# more mbufs...
#
# I know, I know; too AIX-like for most people...
#
#
# 					Terry Lambert
# 					terry@lambert.org
# ---
# Any opinions in this posting are my own and not those of my present
# or previous employers.

--
-mishania