Date:      Fri, 8 Mar 2002 13:14:13 -0600
From:      D J Hawkey Jr <hawkeyd@visi.com>
To:        "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Stefan Farfeleder <e0026813@stud3.tuwien.ac.at>, stable at FreeBSD <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: My first world build and install

On Mar 08, at 10:50 AM, Bruce A. Mah wrote:

> If memory serves me right, Stefan Farfeleder wrote:
> > On Fri, Mar 08, 2002 at 10:44:57AM -0600, D J Hawkey Jr wrote:
>
> > > What other defines are required for a "-RELEASE distribution build"?
> > > If I must re-rebuild the world, I want to get it right this time.
> >
> > I've never done a 'make release', but I think you'll have to find those
> > in src/release/Makefile.
>
> I sense the potential for confusion here, due to an ambiguously-worded
> question.
>
> I think the original poster wanted to know "what Makefile variables
> should I set in order to update all the bits on my disk that I got with
> my last -RELEASE"?
>
> This is different from how you (quite reasonably) interpreted the
> question, which seems to be "What Makefile variables should I set in
> order to make a FreeBSD distribution, such as what I might burn to a
> CDROM?"

Thanks for clarifying my question for me; I thought the double-quotes
around the phrase would suffice, but yes, it's apparently too vague.

So, now that we're all on the same sheet of paper, what defines should be
set, and to what values, in /etc/make.conf for me to "get this right"?
So far, it looks like this:

   MAKE_KERBEROS4=yes
   MAKE_KERBEROS5=yes
   NOPROFILE=true
   XFREE86_VERSION=4
   HAVE_MOTIF=yes
   NO_OPENMOTIF=yes

The first two are on Stefan's advice. The third is my preference; I don't
think I'll really be needing profile libraries. The last three suit my
system; I run XF86 4.2, and I have LessTif installed.

Per Stefan's second reply, I understand a re-rebuild of the world is going
to be safest, if not required. But I'd still like a "best bet", if not
comprehensive, list of the defines and values required. I can't find any
relevant info on my disk, nor at freebsd.org, nor by a Google search (the
latter two could very well be due to badly-formed queries).

I would have thought such a configuration would be commonplace, at least
amongst the release engineers and RC testers?

> Bruce.

Thanks,
Dave

--