Date:      Mon, 2 Feb 1998 23:47:39 -0800 (PST)
From:      asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Hmmmm!  Now what?

 * root@keiko-> cd /usr/ports/net/tkirc
        ^^^^^
I see you are using someone's machine there.  Are there "yuko" and
"mio" and others too? :)

 * Gack!  Now we no longer have a "wish" by default?  That seems
 * a bad thing.  Yes, I could easily change tkirc to explicitly
 * invoke wish8.0, but that'd be a bad thing for all those Tcl/Tk books
 * which start with "first, type wish to start a Tk interpreter" - we
 * may have gained version independance by naming our wishes with
 * the version number only but only by blowing POLA right out the
 * window.

And what's going to happen when tcl/tk gets updated and are
incompatible with the previous version again?

 * 	    I think that the tk port should set the link and "wish"
 * should default to whichever version of Tk I last installed.

That's good for interactive use but if ports like tkirc are allowed to
just call wish "wish", then we are asking for major trouble.

If you can think of a way to *force* porters and committer to always
use "wishX.Y" instead of "wish" as their interpreters, then I agree
about tk ports installing the link.

Satoshi