Date:      Fri, 16 Feb 96 09:54:56 EST
From:      jleppek@suw2k.hisd.harris.com (James Leppek)
To:        nate@sri.MT.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freefall.FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: do 3c589c pcmcia cards work

Nate,
Thanks for the help, good that you posted back to questions because I
did not see any other mail :-(
I would ask you to send me the headers from the bounced mail but it would
probably bounce....

as to your questions:
I ran the 3com config program(actually called install now)
no card services runnning
card info is correct for irq, port, iomem

a card is detected in the slot but not as a zp device
rebuilt kernel with ZP_DEBUG to see whats going on
and it looks like the problem occurs during eeprom data reads
it does get the card info correct (the 3com ident string)

now here is the fun part :-) :-)
I config the card up to irq:10 port 300 iomem is DE00
boot fbsd, card probe fails
halt, re-examine card info, surprise!!
card parameters are now irq:10 port:300 iomem:DC00 !!
iomem base has been reconfigured Hmmm lets try another fbsd boot
sure enough after the failed probe looking at the card info I
now see irq:10 port:300 iomem DA00
and yes this trend continues, each probe seems to reconfig
the iomem of the card down by the same value
just for fun I kept doing it and got
D800
D600
D400
D200
D000
DE00
it wraps at this point

no other parameters appear to be effected just the CIS base address
It is like the card is seeing itself and sensing the space in use reconfig's
itself to a lower address???

any hints

Jim Leppek

ps
a reply to questions would be most helpful if mail to me
bounces, I seem to get freebsd mail, must be divine intervention :-)