Date:      Mon, 6 May 2002 23:18:14 +0200
From:      Martin Schweizer <info@pc-service.ch>
To:        Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
Cc:        Martin Schweizer <info@pc-service.ch>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvsup and ports-update

Hello Kent

On Mon, May 06, 2002 at 01:36:02PM -0700 Kent Stewart wrote:
> Martin Schweizer wrote:
> > Hello
> >
> > I create the following supfiles:
> >
> > *default tag=.
> > *default host=cvsup2.de.freebsd.org
> > *default prefix=/usr/ports
> > *default base=/usr/local/etc/cvsup
> > *default release=cvs delete use-rel-suffix compress
> > ports-all
> >
> > or
> >
> > *default tag=.
> > *default host=cvsup2.de.freebsd.org
> > *default prefix=/usr/ports
> > *default base=/usr/local/etc/cvsup
> > *default release=cvs delete use-rel-suffix compress
> > ports-x11
> >
> > Now I start cvsup. I see my cvsup is loading down all the above stuff but after
> >  cvsup there are no changes made in /usr/ports/ or in /usr/ports/x11. If I
> > change to *default prefix=/usr/home/my_username he creates the newest ports
> > directories correct with the newest stuff in it. What is going wrong?
>

> Nothing, you don't understand what cvsup is doing.
Yes. Now I'm confuse!

> The ports are a
> data structure that gets updated by cvsup. You have to cvsup and then
> cd into the proper directory to make use of the new data. Then, can do
> a make and make install to actually update the port. If you already
> have it installed, you will have to delete the previous version. This
> is a simplistic view and most ports have a dependancy list that must
> be maintained at the same time. For example, if you update ports-x11,
> nothing that uses it will be updated to use the new version. You
> really have to cvsup ports-all. When you finish cvsuping, you have to
> rebuilt /usr/ports/INDEX*

I search a lot in the FreeBSD books and on John Polstra's site but I don't
know what I have to do. Ok, let me say I do first cvsup with src-all (what I
did realy before) and my goal is keep update the ports directory. What is
"rebuilt /usr/ports/INDEX*" ? If I start "make index" in the ports directory
after sometimes an error occurs.
Sorry, but I'm realy confuse... :-(

--
Regards

Martin Schweizer
<info@pc-service.ch>

PC-Service M. Schweizer; Gewerbehaus Schwarz; CH-8608 Bubikon
Tel. +41 55 243 30 00; Fax: +41 55 243 33 22; http://www.pc-service.ch