Date:      Mon, 22 Dec 2003 21:46:25 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        fbsd_user <fbsd_user@a1poweruser.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD. ORG" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: doc on make command

--PEIAKu/WMn1b1Hv9

On Mon, Dec 22, 2003 at 04:30:12PM -0500, fbsd_user wrote:
> I am looking for documentation on the make command=20
> that is used to install ports.=20
> The man page says there is an tutorial, but does=20
> not say where it's at or how to get to it.
>=20
> make search=3D =20
> make install clean
> make all-depends-list
> make index
> make fetch-recursive
>=20
> and the list go on and on.

Most of the popular make(1) targets are documented in the ports(7) man page.

The tutorial on make(1) itself is /usr/share/doc/psd/12.make/paper.ascii.gz

(or you might have a PostScript version there instead, depending on
how you set the PRINTERDEVICE variable in /etc/make.conf)

There's also some stuff in the Developer's Handbook:

    http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/developers-handbook/in=
dex.html

However, the best tutorial if you want to progress beyond those
introductory treatments is simply to study the way Makefiles are used
in /usr/ports and /usr/src -- the files in /usr/share/mk and
/usr/ports/Mk are where it's at.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20