Date:      Tue, 23 Dec 1997 13:25:15 -0800 (PST)
From:      Charlie Roots <osiris2002@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: /dev corrupt?

Hi Lannes;
You seem to be in DEEP trouble,
nevertheless, FreeBSD is Disaster-Resistant,
and it is most likely that you can recover this mess,

Suggested procedure;
1. Reboot into Single user mode
	at the FreeBSD boot prompt enter  -s
2. cd /dev
3. ls -l | more ( check out what's there)
4. if you find a file named MAKEDEV then you are NOT out of luck.
5. ee MAKEDEV
6. read the names of the devices 'CAREFULLY' , write some on paper.
7. type 'ESC' to exit from the editor (DO NOT SAVE the FILE)
 exit without saving from the ee editor.
8. to create a device issue the command (exactly);
 	./MAKEDEV dev0 dev1 .... etc where dev0 and dev1
	are VALID device names 'from the MAKEDEV itself'
9. after ALL devices are created, reboot. (Multiuser mode-just hit
enter)
10. test whatever you were testing before the mishap.
11 if in trouble ASK US AGAIN, DO NOT do anything RATIONAL.

Greetings

---Lannes <Lannes@mwweb.com> wrote:

> Hello,
> 	I'm somewhat new to unix, and I am trying to keep a box running.
Finding
> it a bit difficult too. I'm normally a windows user, and not sure
how to
> repair this. Is it a /dev, a kernel error, or something else? When
my shell
> users try to log on, they get no connection, and the box will not
respond
> to me in any way. I've tried a restart, but nothing worked. I have a
load
> of important files/accts on the box, and was hoping I could somehow
create
> it again and bring it back up without losing them.
>
> 								 Thanks,
> 								R.Lambert

==
MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU.