Date:      Sun, 18 Aug 1996 10:48:26 +0200
From:      Marco Masotti <mc7953@mclink.it>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        blair@cyber-naut.com
Subject:   Re:Locked out of my system

> On Sat, 17 Aug 1996, Justin J. Ashworth wrote:

> > On Sat, 17 Aug 1996, Blair Schmittel wrote:
> > >
> > >I can not obtain root privilegdes on my own machine.
> >
> >   Is the account you're trying to su from a member of the wheel    group?

> Yes it is.

Check that your group ownership to wheel is enforced using a proper
entry in the passwd database (vipw, I mean), and not merely in the
/etc/group file. The su command looks like not considering entries in
the /etc/group, as far as when  validating wheel group at least.

That seems not clearly documented in the su(1) man page.

Regards, Marco.