Date:      Wed, 17 Sep 1997 01:28:54 +0200
From:      Peter Korsten <peter@grendel.IAEhv.nl>
To:        Wm Brian McCane <root@bmccane.uit.net>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ISDN Modems

Wm Brian McCane shared with us:

> 	I was wondering which/if any internal ISDN modems work with FreeBSD.
> I am needing to connect 2 machines to the internet and would prefer built
> modems, but I could use externals if someone can tell me which serial cards
> are available that can do 230400 bps or better.  I also intend to use `bisdn'
> for this system unless there are any serious objections or concerns from the
> community 8).

Hmm, these are two subjects that have been discusses recently. I'll
tell a bit about the subject I'm familiar with.

The Teles.S0/16.3 internal ISDN card and look-a-likes are supported
by BISDN. Though BISDN is quite a bitch to install, when you do get
it to work, it works flawlessly. Just don't look at the sources.

However, this is only good for Europe. I don't know the exact
reasons, but I think that external ISDN adapters are more popular
on the other side of the Big Pond, at least with those capable of
developing driver code. So I guess the question for you is: which
serial card and which ISDN adapter (please don't call them modems,
that's the whole idea of ISDN: you no longer need to modulate/demod-
ulate the data) am I going to use?

- Peter