Date:      Wed, 30 Aug 1995 21:21:58 -0400
From:      Coranth Gryphon <gryphon@healer.com>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com, rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: /etc/disktab and stuff

>   no new functionality of _ANY_ kind
>   was to be added to this branch, it was to be a bugfix against 2.0.5.

Then it should not be called 2.1

The new .1 (vs .0*) says to most release engineers a significant improvement.
Only one step below the chance from 1.* to 2.*

So if it is just bug-fixes, and you are dis-allowing any new functionality
(which from the user's point of view means denying them stuff that is there
and working) call it 2.0.9

As far as the "no new functionality" rules goes, does that mean no
new ports? no new packages? no new VERSIONS of existing ports or packages
or utilities? If that is the case, call is 2.0.5.1

As far as making the beta release date, go ahead, then do a second beta
with the few changes. You'll theoretically be including beta feedback into
the release anyway, and much of the existing feedback (before even the beta
is shipped) is that we want better installation and configuration routines.

I'm sure I speak for most of the FreeBSD users that we'd rather see the next
version - with the changes - 1 month later than have to wait another 3 months
for them if they don't make it into this release.

-coranth

Coranth Gryphon <gryphon@healer.com>      |  "Faith Manages."      |
                                          |        - Satai Delenn  |
Phone: 603-598-3440   Fax: 603-598-3430   +------------------------+
USMail: 11 Carver St, Nashua, NH  03060
Disclaimer: All these words are yours, except Europa...