Date:      Fri, 23 May 2014 23:22:05 -0500
From:      David Noel <david.i.noel@gmail.com>
To:        Lucius Rizzo <Lucius.Rizzo@the.ie>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: What is your favourite/best firewall on FreeBSD and why?

On 5/20/14, Lucius Rizzo <Lucius.Rizzo@the.ie> wrote:
> Ultimately, outside configuration differences all firewalls are essentially
> serve the same purpose but I wonder what is your favorite and why? If
> you were to run FreeBSD in production, which of the three would you
> choose? IPFilter, PF or IPFW?

I use PF, though I've never tried IPFilter or IPFW. Years ago when I
was trying to decide between the three I remember finding a number of
good arguments in favor of using PF.

> Also there is a lack of good interesting rule sets in the BSD realm. With
> Linux, there was even a iptables rule set to prevent heartbleed. If you use
> any of the firewalls, and have interesting or even optimized rule sets, I
> would really like to see them :)

There are a handful of PF ruleset examples available online. I
gathered them, concatenated them, did some reading and made sure they
made sense for my use case, then applied them. They're on my other
machine though. I'll post them shortly.