Date:      Fri, 25 May 2007 13:51:46 +0100 (BST)
From:      "Dominic Marks" <dom@helenmarks.co.uk>
To:        Stephen.Clark@seclark.us
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: network performance 6.1 stable vs 4.9

Stephen Clark wrote:
> Hello List,
>
> We have a network appliance that is currently based on 4.9. We are in
> the process of releasing
> a new version based on 6.1 stable.

You are going to get asked this, so I'll ask first.

Whats the reason behind not running a more recent STABLE? I understand
developing a product on a moving platform is not ideal, but its going to
be mentioned!

> In our testing using nttcp thru the appliance we see insignifant
> difference in thruput between the 2
> versions in a controlled environment - aproximately 94mbs on a 100mb lan.
>
> We have a person that is testing the both system inhouse surfing out
> over the internet on our T1
> link and he complains that he is consistently seeing the 6.1 version
> being much slower than the
> 4.9 version (on the same hardware).
> He has been comparing the 6.1 system to 4.9 system for a couple of weeks
> and continues to insist the 6.1 version is much slower.

You don't mention what the appliance actually does beyond just moving
packets about? Surfing implies some sort of proxy or gateway device?

> Are there any sysctl tunables that may affect performance going over the
> internet
> with a slower link, dropped packets, etc that could cause this?
>
> Any ideas would be appreciated.

Dominic