Date:      Mon, 7 Feb 2005 09:21:46 +0100 (CET)
From:      Svein Halvor Halvorsen <svein-freebsd-questions@theloosingend.net>
To:        Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.uu.se>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Electricity bill [was: Re: Leaving a Computer Running ?]

* Erik Trulsson [2005-02-05 23:55 +0100]
>  Also keep in mind that if you leave the computer running all the time
>  it will show up on your electricity bill, so if you wish to save power
>  you should shut down your computer over night.

Given that your house needs to be warmed up (a presumption I think is
correct for Sweden as you appears to be sending from; it sure does for
Norway, I don't know about the OP), it does not matter where that heat
comes from. If your other heating is termostatically controlled, then
running your computer all night long uses no less electricity than leaving
your heating on. Eventually, all those kWhs ends up as heat. You might
just as well use it for something usefull in the way from electric to
thermic energy, and not just send your electrons through an electric
resistance for nothing (except heat-generation)!

(Of course this argument is not valid if you need to cool your house, or
if you use radiators, water-born heating, a wood-burning stove or
something else other than electricity to warm up your house)

Svein Halvor