Date:      19 Mar 2002 03:46:24 -0700
From:      Alex Rodioukov <simuran@shaw.ca>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: A quick fsck question

No, when the filesystem is mounted read-only it is marked as
"clean". fsck(8) says that:

"In "preen" mode the clean flag of each filesystem's superblock is
examined and only those filesystems that are not marked clean are
checked.  Filesystems are marked clean when they are unmounted, when
they have been mounted read-only, or when fsck runs on them
successfully."

> If I mount a UFS file system as read only (on an IDE HDD) will it still
> require an fsck after an unclean shutdown?

Regards,
  Alex.