Date:      Thu, 19 Oct 2006 16:50:47 +0200
From:      Eric Masson <e-masson@kisoft-services.com>
To:        "Andresen, Jason R." <jandrese@mitre.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Runaway kernel?  Or an attack?

Jeremy Chadwick <freebsd@jdc.parodius.com> writes:

Hi,

> I recommend removing the DI-604 from the topology and see if the
> problem continues.  Gut feeling (based on past experience with
> D-Link's residential products) is the problem will disappear.
> You'll have to trust me on this -- no matter how reliable you think
> the DI-series units are ("It works fine for me!"), they aren't.
> There are major IP stack implementation issues with these units
> (same with the DI-614+).

These units can be made reliable when flashed with an alternative
firmware like OpenWRT (http://www.OpenWRT.org). Take a look at the
following pages :
http://wiki.openwrt.org/OpenWrtDocs/Hardware/D-Link?highlight=%28CategoryAR7Device%29
http://wiki.openwrt.org/AR7Port

I have here a WRT54GS 1.1 running OpenWRT whiterussian rc5, a DLink
DSL504T and a Netgear WGT634U waiting for Kamikaze builds.

I'd love to see a project similar to OpenWRT based on a BSD, but so far,
and it seems that FreeBSD mips port effort has stalled :
http://www.freebsd.org/projects/mips/

Éric Masson

--
 Jh 28 ans, informaticien, cherche femme sur Chartres.
 -+- PGeorges in GNU - Elle est où la Charte du groupe ? -+-