Date:      Mon, 03 Mar 2014 15:36:55 -0500
From:      Pedro Giffuni <pfg@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Anything to rescue from KGI4BSD ?

Hello;

Once upon a time, long ago, when the idea of kernel graphics drivers was
looked upon like something crazy, one brave developer called Nicholas
Souchu ported the then linux-specific Kernel Graphics Interface to FreeBSD:

https://wiki.freebsd.org/KGI

The system was very well abstracted and used FreeBSD's kobj(9). Back
then, the graphics infrastructure and device interface required
designing a device pager and some other details that I have mostly
forgotten about (a kernel input interface comes vaguely to mind) but for
which there is still code in some dark repository:

http://kgi.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/kgi/

Now that the graphics drivers seem to have been reinvented, and things
are basically working, I was wondering if perhaps there is something to
savage in the old code implementation ...

Not sure how much though: I think the drivers, although nicely
abstracted, are pretty much useless nowadays (we were actually using
VESA anyway) but one nice thing was that there was a nice console
abstraction and we were able to run non-X (libggi) graphics environments.

Anyways, I just thought I'd share the old links as a source of, always
useful, re-baked ideas to our graphics developers. :)

Enjoy,

Pedro.